Hi friends, I’m back here after a long time! Hope to keep posting recipes regularly starting today. Today’s recipe is a green smoothie. Wondering why it’s purple in color!? The interesting, key ingredient is…..Can you guess?
It’s kale! Yep, it is! The mixed berries and the purple kale gives this smoothie a very attractive color to the smoothie and nobody will know that it has kale in it. The best way to include the super food in one’s diet, especially for picky eaters, children as well as adults. The beauty of adding purple kale instead of green kale or spinach is mainly the color. If you add green kale or spinach with a these berries, the color doesn’t look appealing at all. I have tried it earlier. It has a mucky, unpleasant greenish brown color. My kids wouldn’t even bother to look it.
When I was thinking how can I make it appealing for the kids to drink it, I came across purple kale and had a light bulb moment. Tried it as usual and voila! Amazing purple power smoothie! The kids thought that it was just the usual banana berry smoothie. They didn’t have the mildest clue about the secret ingredient.
Berry Kale Smoothie Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|10 Mins||01 Mins||2 Servings|
- 1 banana, large
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 10 almonds
- 2-3 purple kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon protein powder (optional)
- In a high powder blender like Vitamix, first blend together the banana, berries, almonds and some water/milk. Once it is blended smoothly add the purple kale, torn into small pieces and remaining water/milk as needed. Add in the protein powder too if using. Blend until it’s nice, smooth and creamy.
- If using fresh berries, then don’t forget to add ice cubes. High power blenders like Vitamix might start cooking the smoothie if the ice part of it is missing. So either the fruits should be frozen or ice cubes should be used.